Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Crowdsourcing for Cancer

http://www.ted.com/talks/jay_bradner_open_source_cancer_research.html?utm_source=newsletter_weekly_2011-11-01&utm_campaign=newsletter_weekly&utm_medium=email)I

This week I wanted to share with you a TED video watched about a new way of curing some types of cancer.  Though the cure itself is remarkable, it is the method to which this lab came to discover the cure that I was most moved by.  I don't have cancer and hope I never get it.  I do have a chronic illness that I would give anything in the world for some lab to find some drug that would cure it...this is why this video moved me so. 
Now I understand why drug companies act the way they do...it is all about money...but wouldn't it be great if we lived in a world where the result was more important...where what this lab did - sharing their research and tapping in to the power that is crowdsourcing - was how we cured disease? I often cannot believe how much my medicine costs...I luckily have great insurance but know there are so many who don't.  Wouldn't it be great if the greater good - saving people's lives - was more important than the bottom line?
I know...that is a utopia that is unrealistic...but you can always hope...and that was what this video did.  It gave me hope - hope that there are people out there who just want to solve these problems and want to use the power of the community to do it.  To me, that would be truly emerging, disruptive technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment